Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sailing, Sailing over the Bounding Main or whatever.

Apparently there is a traveling show of maritime art coming the the Mobile Museum of Art early in 2012.  To get everyone in the mood they decided to have a juried exhibition of 'maritime' paintings by local artists.  Ben Shamback, a very good, kinda super realistic painter of still life who is a professor at USA art dept was lined up to be the juror.   Now rest assured I am not a maritime painter but last spring I'd done 3 smallish paintings based on rainbows, an old visual element of mine.  2 of them sorta evolved toward a water scene so I ended up sticking a sail shape in them and then since it was water an unrealistic reflection.  Tah dah, 2 maritime paintings.  The third one was dry land.  So even though I would not have done paintings to conform to this theme to enter the show surprise, surprise, I had 2 perfectly good maritime paintings just sitting there.  The entry fee was cool, $0.00.  So I entered.

The blue painting below was awarded 2nd "prize".  I would have given Best in Show to someone else, NOT ME.  I really dislike the idea of 1st 2nd 3rd place etc.  It is ridiculous to try to rate paintings that way.  My thoughts are to give a number of merit awards, equal if there's money involved.

There I've ridden my  white charger once again.

 Rainbow #2        22 x 22 inches   Oil on Canvas

Passing Storm (got to call it something)  ca. 34 x 36 inches  Oil on Canvas


Actually I like the other one at the top better

No comments:

Post a Comment